2 August 2013

Woman beat 3 year Niece To Death

According story by Punchng, a 21-year
woman, Rebecca Bassey, has been
arrested for allegedly beating her husband 3 year old -niece , Deborah Bassey to death.
Rebecca is accused of beating Deborah at their home
in Ijaiye Ojokoro, Lagos on July 22nd because the
little girl vomited and defecated on herself.
Continue to read the full report from Punch...
A police source told PUNCH Metro:
"The victim (Deborah) lost her mother in 2010. Early
this year, Deborah's father was evicted from his
home and he decided to send Deborah and his
second child to go and stay with his brother, Vincent,
until he settles down. Deborah and her nine-year-old
sister were living with Vincent and his wife, Rebecca,
in a one-room apartment at Powerline, Jankara, Ijaiye
Ojokoro. However, Rebecca was always maltreating
the two children."
According to police investigations, on the day of the
incident, Deborah woke up around 5.30am with a
high temperature.
The three-year-old girl was said to have started
vomiting and defecating soon after.
This was said to have angered Rebecca, who instead
of administering treatment to the child, decided to
beat her up.
A police source said, "In the process of beating the
girl, the suspect pushed her and she fell, hitting her
head against the edge of a wooden chair in the
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim started to bleed
from the head. Some neighbours rushed her to
Ahmadiyya Hospital, where she was referred to Orile
Agege General Hospital where she later died.
A woman leader in the area, Kudirat Ogunseyi, was
said to have reported the matter to Ijaye Ojokoro
Police Division after which the suspect was arrested.
Some neighbours, in their statements at the police
station, described the suspect as a hot-tempered
woman, who was fond of beating the children.
"The way that woman beats up the children was very
worrying to the extent that the landlord had
threatened to evict them," one of the statements
Vincent told the police that he was not present when
his wife beat his niece to death.
"I was not at home when the incident happened. I am
a photographer during daytime but I work as a
vigilante group member. So I hardly sleep at home,"
he said.
The suspect however said she did not kill the victim
deliberately. She said she only pushed Deborah and
she hit her head against the chair.
"I am a housewife and I have a 10-month-old baby. I
did not mean to kill her (Deborah). I only pushed her
because she vomited and defecated on the floor. I
was only trying to correct her. It was not deliberate. I
am a mother too and I know how I would feel if my
son was killed," she said.
It was learnt that the matter had been transferred to
the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.
A source at the SCID said the police were waiting for
autopsy. He added that if other wounds were found
on other parts of the victim's body, it would prove
that the victim was indeed tortured before her death.

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

No comments:

Post a Comment